Thursday 9 February 2012

SOUTH GULLY, STOB BAN

South Gully and The Central Buttress of Stob Ban
Sgurr a' Mhaim & The Devils Ridge
The bottom of North Gully
Ben Nevis & Sgurr a' Mhaim above the inversion
Sgurr a' Mhaim & Deils Ridge
South Gully
Overnight temperatures and rain was a bit disappointing but this morning the rain had ceased. I set out at a leisurely hour, 10am from the house and a leisurely cycle up Glen Nevis. No particular plan today as I set off from Achriabach and up the lovely glen between Sgurr a' Mhaim and Stob Ban, Glen Mhusagain. Stob Ban is a great hill, whichever route you take they are all wonderful ways up. The cloud was stubborn to lift with not a breeze but by the time I got higher up the glen things looked hopeful. I wanted to check out the snow below South Gully on Stob Ban. This is a lovely corrie and holds snow well. At 700m there was a good cover and as I made my way up toward the bottom of the gully there was suddenly a big hole in the cloud cover/localised temperature inversion. Fantastic views across to The Ben, Sgurr a' Mhaim and The Devils Ridge all looking spectacular with the sea of cloud below 800m. I was kicking myself as never brought my climbing helmet as the snow was pretty good and as always the gully was well filled up. I decided not to go up, you've only got one head as they say! I've climbed South Gully a few times and it's a lovely wee grade 1 and never see anyone on it. So I was happy watching and photographing the scenery. Spookily as I was descending there was a bit of rock fall down one of the other gullies on this East face, with the milder temperatures it's always an hazard.

No comments: