Thursday 29 November 2012

STUNNING WINTER DAY ON THE FIACAILL RIDGE

Fiacaill a Coire an t-Sneachda
Coire an t-Sneachda
At the top
Coire an Lochan-no one here?
Loch Avon basin
Red Gully & Fingrs Ridge
What a stunning day here in The Cairngorms. the cloud soon lifted and we had sunshine most of the day. Sub zero temperatures, hardly a breeze on the tops and a lot of snow down to 500m. I had a great day out on the Fiacaill Coire an t-Sneachda. This fine ridge is a grade I or II day out under winter conditions, depending on what line you take. A big group was just behind me, just as I was thinking how quiet it was! A lot of climbers hading into the Coire an t-sneachda too. There was beautiful rime ice plastered on the crags and on the west side of the ridge a fair depth of unconsolidated snow. The last couple of windy and snowy days has transformed the hills into true winter conditions. Beautiful sunshine on the plateau as I headed up to Cairn Lochan and then down to my favourite view point above Hells Lum Crag, looking down to the Loch Avon Basin. This section of plateau was fabulously coated in deep snow and great to walk on with the added bonus of no footprints and peace and quiet. A fab winter day out again and it's still only November! I'm over on Ben Nevis this weekend for 3 days work, first of many winter skills courses this season, December looking busy.

No comments: