Monday 20 January 2014

BIRTHDAY BRAERIACH


 
Sgor Gaoithe from the northern slopes of Braeriach
Lurchers Crag to the east
The final ridge to the summit plataeu
Loch Choire an Lochain
A well rimed summit area
 
 
Beautiful winter light this morning



The temperatures dropped overnight and the winds too. I had a great day up on Braeriach, cycling up Glen Einich with some lovely atmospheric clouds. There are a few burns running down from the northern corries of Braeriach and they are all well filled in with snow down to 500m. Most of the way up it was hard frozen snow, wonderful. The moderate winds were blowing some snow down the slopes and new windslab was building up but these slopes have many boulders poking through and good 'islands of safety'. I made my way onto the lovely wee ridge that bounds the eastern side of Loch Coire an Lochain which is one of the highest named stretches of water in Britain. It is well frozen. The plateau as an excellent deep covering of fresh snow, perfect for ski touring. Just as I reached the summit there was a wee weather window and some blue skies. I saw no one all day  and never do on this route, one of my favourite ways up Braeriach in winter. A great Birthday pressie (to myself)!

No comments: