Wednesday 26 April 2017

MORE SNOW THAN IN THE WHOLE OF JANUARY

Rime ice on the 'teeth'

Fiacaill a Coire Sneachda

Best of the sun today

Top of Alladins Couloir

Definitely a winter traverse

Drifts even on plateau
It was minus 6 degrees on Cairn Gorm summit this morning. Two days of constant snow showers have transformed the Cairngorms into what looks like full on winter conditions! The snow had melted away down at Aviemore level this morning but definitely still winter above 500m. It was a full leg work out right from the Coire Cas carpark, knee deep in places. There was a couple of climbers just returning to the car park when I was heading out. They were the only folk I saw all day. It felt like I had the whole of the Northern Corries to myself. Poor visibility much of the day but light winds and only a few light snow showers. Eventually I ploughed up to the Fiacaill of Coire Sneachda. It was still heavy going along the ridge but absolutely wonderful. All the rocks were well rimed up. Even with no views the Fiacaill is always a fun and interesting day out. Probably the most snowy day this winter along here! I saw a wee vole at over 1000m, looking very lost as he made his way toward me! Plenty of ptarmigan about too and a Mountain Hare, but no human life at all. It was still heavy going in places along te plateau with the northerly winds of previous days dumping big drifts in places. Top day out. I think this snow will vanish once the temperatures go up from tomorrow onwards. Heatwave forecast next week!

No comments: